Thursday, October 29, 2009

Farming on the Rooftops


how often do you walk upstairs to get to a farm?

I can't believe it took me all summer to go five blocks, but I finally made it out to Greenpoint's Rooftop Farm on this particularly dazzling, sunny Sunday for the last volunteer day of the season. I've read articles and seen photos, but I was still completely blown away. It is 6,000 square feet of donated space turned functional farmland, green roof, green market, compost pile, sustainability, and community. I spent some time picking seeds from marigold plants to save for next year and then did a bit of shopping - bought green tomatoes, jalapeƱo peppers, and the most luscious and tangy mixed greens. You can still visit the farm (and get inspired for Thanksgiving) on their last market day of the year on Sunday, November 22, 10am-4pm when they will sell what remains of the harvest.


6,000 square feet of farmland and a stunning view


rainbow chard soaking up the sun


the market...


the produce

1 comment:

Julie Fishkin said...

Oh man, I can't believe I never made it. I'm actually embarrassed. I've meant to go, seriously, every sunday this summer. Thank you for this post!