Wednesday, July 14, 2010

More Market



On the heels of my last post, I have to add that, tipped off by one Sarah Taylor after relaying the story of my Oseland run-in, I dug right into the most recent issue of Saveur, of which he is Editor-in-Chief. It's THE MARKET ISSUE and in the introduction Oseland talks about shopping at his local market, McCarren Park!!! Be still my heart! The issue, like many a Saveur issue, makes me want to travel the world to see the vast markets in Spain, Thailand, and Santa Fe (this last one, I actually might get to in the fall!), but also makes me appreciate what I have right here at home, reminding me, for instance, that the next special occasion calls for a trip to Savoy, a restaurant that sources most of their fare from the Union Square Greenmarket. As Oseland says to start the issue off, "Market going is a defining and universal experience." And after reading about all the different ways to go about this entirely same objective, there is something very true and comforting in that.

No comments: