Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Meet Hook is Here



I am freaking out about the new butcher shop in town. (And I am remiss for not writing about it earlier.) Tom Mylan's Meat Hook is a lot of wonderful - butcher shop, school, kitchen store, and more. My first trip was all about a plan to make Boeuf Bourguignon, a combination of Julia's and Ina's if you are wondering. I was very excited that Tom Mylan was there to consult, give us a tour of the new facilities, and cut my three pounds of bottom round into 1-inch chunks himself. At the end of our visit, I was honored to receive a sample of the house-made bacon cheeseburger sausage. Verdict = Amazing.

But seriously, I am happiest about finally having a place in the neighborhood to buy fresh, sustainably and locally raised beef, pork, chicken, and duck meat, parts, and stock. Thank you Meat Hook!

Here are the early stages of my Boeuf preparation...


Perfect bottom round, salted, peppered, and ready for the hot pan


Browning all sides


Browned with bacon


White onions, hand-peeled, braising


Onions and carrots begin...


And we're caramelized!

Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of the final product but, I can assure you it was pure goodness.