Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Cauliflower, Walnuts, and Feta Oh My!



Deb of Smitten Kitchen – I really have started to think of her as something like a guru – hits another home run. Deborah has been talking up this penne with cauliflower, walnuts, and feta she discovered on Smitten (an Alice Waters recipe) for a while now. So when I finally found some time to spend in my kitchen, I purchased some cauliflower and (French) feta.



Happily, I had walnuts from the Santa Monica Farmers Market left over from my most recent trip home. And I added fresh local ramps to the mix, care of The Garden, ever winning my heart by carrying the locally, seasonally grown. They also had some of the first spring asparagus, which we ate, roasted, on the side.



The meal is hearty and savory and even healthy. One thing I will note is that SK Deb talks about the use of whole wheat pasta, which she doesn’t like, which I also don’t like. I couldn’t bring myself to use it even with her high recommendation for this specific dish, but I found a multigrain penne by Barilla that I think worked just fine.


No comments: